August 2, 2015

AP HUMAN GEOGRAPHY 101 | HOW I GOT A 5 + SURVIVED THE CLASS {TIPS}

Hello all!
For my very first post (well technically second but this is my first post of substance) I decided to let you all in on a little secret---how I got a 5 on the 2014-2015 AP Exam.

Before I say anything else, I just want you to understand the amount of effort I put into this class. I put my entire heart and soul into this class and threw away the social life I never had---and it payed off beyond words.

Now onto the tips!





1. Experiment and learn how you study.

It's okay to fail. It took me the entire first semester to find a way that brought me success. And let me tell you, simply reading the chapter isn't one. I lived by three words when it came to studying for HUG: recall, recall, recall. The best way for me to ace the tests were to recall the information. I made study guides, asked myself questions and answered them out loud. 

2. Know the vocabulary front and backwards.

Literally. I would log onto Quizlet and punch in all of the vocabulary words for the chapter as soon as we started it, and studied them with the definition facing me first. Then, after I had pretty much mastered recognizing them, I would study them with the words facing me and try and recall them. 

This method is helpful to help you recognize definitions on multiple choice tests and to recall the word/definition on either multiple choice or essay type tests. 

Vocabulary is absolutely vital for making a 5 on the exam. Throwing in as many relevant words you can in your FRQs will definitely boost your score. You're not gonna learn all those chapters of vocabulary words for nothing, are you?

3. Up your multiple choice test taking skills.

There are 75 multiple choice questions on the AP exam. That's 75 chances to get closer to a 5. By having impeccable multiple choice test taking strategies, it's possible for you to guarantee your 5 right then and there.

First, I'm going to share a "secret," if you will, with you that a brilliant teacher of mine told me. With multiple choice tests, (depending if they go A-D or A-E) there are always

  • 1/2 completely wrong answers
  • 1 that's kinda right but not quite, you can knock it out
  • 1 that's so close to being right it's laughable
  • And the 1 correct answer. 
Eliminate answers in that order. Read ALL of the choices, then start knocking them out. Once you've crossed them out, it's out of sight, out of mind. It's easier for you and your brain to focus on deciding which answer is right when there are less options and less chances to throw you off.

4. Multiple Choice---Don't overthink and go with your gut.

I can't tell you how many times I've gotten a question wrong because I over analyzed the question/answer or changed my answer when I went back to check them.

I find that most of the time, when I don't know an answer, the choice that I instinctively choose as my guess is right. I would suggest going with your gut when you absolutely have no clue, and don't second guess it.

However, if you have some idea, sit back and think about it for a second. It's with answers that are pretty obvious or ones you don't know that I say go with your gut. And again, read all of the answer choices.

5. Start taking practice exams early.

Get your test prep book, and hit it. I waited until well after Winter break to get mine and start, which wasn't terribly paralyzing on my part, but I would've been more confident if I had started earlier. FRQs gave me the absolute chills, and even though I was solid at multiple choice, it made me a nervous wreck despite how obvious the answer was.

If this is your first AP class, I would suggest getting your test prep book around November-December and start digging into it after midterms. That way, you would've already covered half of the course material so you have something to review as well as new information to learn/preview to accompany with your class material.

I would also (highly) suggest googling random and old AP exam FRQs and doing those.
  • 5A. Practice writing FRQs.
FRQs freak everyone out, don't worry. They're essay questions, which means you only have the information in the question to work with if you don't know the answer. So...know the answer!

I would practice writing FRQs not only in class (bless my teacher) but also from the test prep book., Then, I would go back and look at what I got wrong, didn't include, and edit it. 

Writing FRQs is one of those things that takes practice to get good at. If writing isn't your best area, and even if it is, remember to throw in any vocabulary words, people, and theories/models that are relevant. Those three aspects take your writing to the next level and prove you know what you're talking about. 

6. Outline your textbook---in your own words.

I typed all of my outlines, just because it was faster and I didn't have the whole afternoon to spend on outlining for HUG---I had other classes to attend to. Also, me and my friends sent outlines to each other via Google Drive. However, if you do have the time, I would suggest writing them because it really engraves the information into your brain.

I used to (and will continue to) act like I have to turn my notes in, and if I copied anything word for word, it'd be deemed as plagiarism and I'd get in big trouble. What's the point of retyping the textbook in outline form anyways? Define vocabulary words and put the things you write down in a way you'll remember it. Relate the information to you and things you know. It'll stick with you longer that way.

For example, in my book, they define Cartography as "the science of map making." In my notes, I typed "fancy word for making maps." It's sarcastic and made me smirk a little every time I read it, so of course I remembered it.

I like to think of my notes as cue cards for a presentation and constantly ask myself "how would I define/explain this if I was giving a presentation/talking out loud." Act like you have to write notes an elementary schooler is going to read. The dumber, the better and easier to remember.

7. Put those notes to use and read them---especially before bed.

I read somewhere reading your notes before bed helps you remember it better the next day, and I believe it. In Psychology, I learned a theory that says dreams are a way of thinking and processing information while you're asleep. I think it makes sense---letting that information enter your brain and float around while you sleep? Logical to me.

So that's what I did. I would read my notes before I went to sleep. It's a good way to wind down and it helps you in the long run! Also, it's better than reading the overwhelming textbook because, if you listened to me, the information should be in your own words and in a way you can easily understand.

8. Form an AP study group.

My friends and I came up with the brilliant idea of studying together at the end of third quarter, and we always talk about how we wish we started earlier because it helped us that much.

Once you make some friends and form a "squad," if you will, start studying together! It will benefit all of you and make it more fun. Me and my friends even had AP sleepovers or study days at each other's houses. We all brought food and our study stuff and taught each other the lessons and asked each other questions. It made the information sink in even deeper because it's easier to make studying fun with your friends.

The best thing about it was if I didn't understand something, my friends could answer it in the most simple light ever, so I wasn't left with some complicated explanation from my teacher or the book.

9. Kill the easy stuff, and always do corrections and extra credit.

This is more so a tip on surviving the class. Whatever you do, DO NOT slack off at the start of the class where things are...easier. The course only gets harder from the start and there on out. You can't afford to slack of at any time, so don't get in the habit of it. Boost your grade while it's easy to, so in the event you make a bad mark, it won't drag you down tremendously.

Also, do the corrections and extra credit! I was stubborn and thought not doing them would "teach me a lesson" and "make me work harder." NO. DO THEM. They will boost your grade like no tomorrow. Doing corrections is also beneficial to you because it lets you see where you went wrong so you don't go wrong on the real exam. Extra credit will give you cushion to fall on should some test, quiz, project or assignment knock you down.



Those are all of the tips I've got for you! Here are some resources you can download, print out, and make the most of!
(P.S --- I'm going off of my textbook, The Cultural Landscape by Rubenstein, 10th Edition)

MISC
    • This is the textbook we used for the course and what my outlines go off of!
ORGANIZATION
Chapter 1: Basic Concepts
Chapter 2: Population
Chapter 3: Migration
Chapter 4: Folk and Popular Culture
Chapter 5: Language
Chapter 6: Religion
  • We skipped this chapter so I have no notes for you, sorry! On the exam there was barely any religion, but that could change for upcoming ones! I would suggest reading and taking notes on the religion chapters in your test prep books just to get some basic knowledge. The questions weren't too in depth, they were more like "this religion is practiced where/by who?"
Chapter 7: Ethnicity
Chapter 8: Political Geography
Chapter 9: Development
Chapter 10: Agriculture
Chapter 11: Industry
  • We skipped this one too, sorry! Industry kind of ties into the other units, though. Though the material isn't as vital to know, I would definitely know the vocabulary.
Chapter 12: Services
Chapter 13: Urban Processes
Chapter 14: Resources










That's all I've got! Comment your favorite/the best tip or resource! Also if you have any other questions/are struggling with anything let me know! Until next time...



No comments:

Post a Comment